Thursday 1 May 2014

ESL Golden Week homework!

Conditionals Test on Monday, May 5/12

CONDITIONAL TENSES: 'If'
Begin practicing for the conditional on your apps and here:
- British Council Conditionals 1, explanation and exercises
- British Council Conditionals 2, explanation and exercises
- Explanation of all types 


Conditionals
A conditional sentence is a sentence containing the word if. There are three basic types of conditional sentence:
  1. if clause > present simple tense : main clause > future tense (will)
    • If you help me, I will help you.
    • If I win the lottery, I will buy a new car.
    • If it snows tomorrow, we will go skiing.
  2. if clause > past simple tense : main clause > would
    • If you knew her, you would agree with me.
    • If I won the lottery, I would buy a new car.
    • If it snowed tomorrow, we would go skiing.
  3. if clause > past perfect tense : main clause > would have
    • If you had helped me, I would have helped you.
    • If I had won the lottery, I would have bought a new car.
    • If it had snowed yesterday, we would have gone skiing.
Of course, it is possible to start conditional sentences with the main clause:
  • I will buy a new car if I win the lottery.
  • I would buy a new car if I won the lottery.
  • I would have bought a new car if I had won the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment